NEW PEUGEOT 508 RANGE – THE NEW FACE OF ATTRACTION
PEUGEOT has launched the new 508 range, available in Fastback, SW and the high-performance PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED variants. Available from June 2023 onwards, the new 508 range adds new styling, improved performance and advanced technologies for buyers.
With the new 508, available in Fastback, SW and high-performance PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED versions, PEUGEOT reveals a new design for its top-of-the-range executive cars. The new front end brings further dynamism and bears the brand's new emblem at its heart.
These models feature a new front end fully integrating the distinctive grille lower into the bumper - a family trait shared with the new 3008 and 5008, plus the signature lighting system with three claws at the front. Across all versions, these claws feature a unique design that integrates them into the extremely slim Matrix LED headlamps.
At the rear, the new LED lights incorporate the signature 3-claw design with scrolling indicators.
Matthias Hossann, PEUGEOT Design Director, said: “PEUGEOT reinforces its technological and feline identity with the radical character of the new 508. Ultra-thin headlamps and the 3-claw signature are part of a grille that blends into the bumper, making for a spectacular front end.”
Inside the new 508 and 508 SW, a new emphasis is placed on the quality and modernity of the materials. This includes a new premium upholstery and a new gearbox control unit for improved ergonomics.
Inside every new 508, infotainment technology takes a step ahead thanks to the new PEUGEOT i-Connect® Advanced infotainment system. This system is equipped with a 10-inch high-definition central screen, connected navigation, natural language voice recognition, wireless smartphone connectivity and over-the-air (OTA) updates.
The new 508 range represents the best of PEUGEOT in terms of driving pleasure and comfort, complemented by an extensive suite of driving assistance systems. These include:
- Night Vision, using infrared camera technology to alert the driver of any hazards ahead before they are visible under high beam lighting.
- Level 2 semi-autonomous driving assistance, consisting of Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go and Lane Keeping Assist.
- Parking assistance with HD camera technology.
- Adaptive suspension with 3 settings (Normal, Comfort and Sport).
The range of powertrains available for PEUGEOT 508 and 508 SW includes two PLUG-IN HYBRID versions, a new 180hp and a 225hp version. Also available are a 130hp PureTech petrol version and a 130hp BlueHDi diesel version. All engines are combined with the EAT8 8-speed automatic transmission. The thrilling 508 PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED features a 360hp PLUG-IN HYBRID drivetrain and all-wheel drive.
Phil York, PEUGEOT Marketing and Communications Director, said:
"PEUGEOT's history is inextricably linked with motorsport, and our involvement in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) with the PEUGEOT 9X8 is proof of this. It is clear that the rules of the game have changed: Electrification, including in the world of racing, has become a symbol of modernity, performance and efficiency. The new 508 PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED builds on these achievements while modernising its design, its badge and its infotainment system.”
To find out more visit: https://youtu.be/3KkPzjgAYrM
ALLURE: A Dynamic & Modern Silhouette
The new 508’s design is revised in line with the latest PEUGEOT design ethos. The more modern look is created by the full integration of the grille motif into the front bumper with the seamless patterns creating an assertive new appearance. Sitting proudly on this new face is the new PEUGEOT shield in the centre of the grille.
Similarly, the front, side and rear badges of the new 508 are more modern with new typography and a new Basalt Grey colour. The emblem has been replaced by a dark Basalt Grey ’PEUGEOT‘ badge that extends across the entire width of the central black strip at the rear. This contributes to modernising and visually broadening the rear end.
On the 508 PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED version, the grille is precise, alternating between glossy and textured black, sharp and feline. The vibrant Kryptonite green signature with three claws stands alone at the end of the bonnet.
Matrix LED technology, now standard across the whole range, optimises the design of the headlamps. The slim, feline look is sharper than ever before on a PEUGEOT, seamlessly integrating the 3D effect triple claw running lights into a single unit.
Side-on, the natural vibrancy of the new 508 and 508 SW is enhanced again by new 18-inch aluminium wheels, named ‘EPHERRA’. Every alloy wheel design is fitted with a 5-spoke wheel centre stamped with the PEUGEOT shield that conceals the wheel nuts.
At the rear, the light signature is a reinterpretation of the three claws theme in a more horizontal and dynamic version. These full LED lights, with scrolling indicators, are standard across the entire range.
In terms of dimensions, the new 508 has a length of 4.75m (Fastback) and 4.79m (SW), combined with a width of 1.86m with the mirrors folded down. The wheelbase across variants remains at 2.79m.
Seven colours, including three new ones, will be available for the new PEUGEOT 508:
- Okenite White (new colour)
- Eclipse Blue (new colour)
- Titane Grey (new colour)
- Selenium Grey (now available on all variants)
- Cumulus Grey
- Elixir Red
- Nera Black
From launch, the new PEUGEOT 508 and 508 SW range is available in three trim levels:
- PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED
EMOTION Behind The Wheel: The PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®
For a decade, the distinctive PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® has been modernised with each new generation. For the new 508 range, it makes its mark in terms of ergonomics, quality, practicality and technology with a new infotainment system, the PEUGEOT i-Connect® Advanced.
The compact steering wheel is the defining feature of the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® and increases driving pleasure by offering unique agility and precision of movement. The steering wheel has the new PEUGEOT shield at its centre and houses the controls for the multimedia system (audio sources, telephone) as well as the volume and natural voice control.
Located at eye level just above the steering wheel, the digital instrument cluster uses a 12-inch display. The digital cluster can be fully customised and personalised, with new display modes (TomTom Connected Navigation, Radio/Media, Driving Aids, Energy Flow, etc.) that can be changed directly from the steering wheel.
In the centre of the dashboard is the central 10-inch high-definition touchscreen, angled towards the driver, which optimises user ergonomics without excluding the passenger’s view. Sitting beneath is the PEUGEOT piano key switches, which are used to access key features such as climate control, applications, telephone and media.
The centre console features a sleek new design with a new automatic gear selector. The driver can select through the different modes of the 8-speed EAT8 automatic gearbox with a single touch.
In PLUG-IN HYBRID variants of the new 508 and 508 SW, the Brake button (B) is used to activate regenerative braking. For petrol variants, it is replaced by a Manual button (M), which allows the driver to take manual control of the 8-speed EAT8 transmission using the steering wheel mounted paddles.
The Driving Mode selector allows the driver to choose different settings; Electric, Eco, Hybrid, Normal, Sport and 4WD (PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED only) depending on their driving requirements. The selected mode also alters the profile of the adaptive suspension (Normal, Sport and Comfort) on cars equipped with this suspension.
EMOTION Connected: The PEUGEOT i-Connect® Advanced System
The new infotainment system allows up to eight driver profiles to be saved. Each profile owner can customise their own display, ambience and drive mode settings.
The mirroring feature uses Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto to connect smartphones to the infotainment system wirelessly thanks to Wi-Fi technology, and it is possible to pair two phones via Bluetooth at the same time. Four USB sockets provide wired connectivity (two USB-C under the armrest in row 1 and two USB-A in row 2).
The 10-inch high-definition central screen is fully customisable, with multi-windows and widgets (or shortcuts) that are easy to use and responsive to navigate through like a smartphone. It is easy to swipe through the menus from left to right or up and down for notifications, or with a three-finger tap to bring up the home page. Like on a smartphone, it is easy to go back to the main page at any time by pressing the ‘Home’ piano key.
At the top of the screen, a permanent banner shows outdoor temperature information, climate control settings, position in widget pages, connectivity data, notifications and the time.
The PEUGEOT i-Connect Advanced is equipped with a powerful and efficient TomTom® connected navigation system. For optimum readability, the map can be displayed on a full central screen. The system is updated "over the air" directly by transmitting the data via the telecoms network.
The "OK PEUGEOT" natural language voice recognition command is a daily tool to improve safety and usability by providing access to all requests related to infotainment functions.
To assist users and answer their questions, the system also includes onboard documentation and tutorials.
Technological EMOTION: Driving Aids
The new PEUGEOT 508 range features a comprehensive range of driving aids thanks to multiple cameras and radar sensors positioned around the vehicle. The driver assist features and technologies include:
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop and Go function and adjustable inter-vehicle distance set-point.
- Automatic emergency braking with collision warning: detects pedestrians and cyclists, day and night, from 5mph to 87mph.
- Active Lane Departure Warning with lane departure correction.
- Driver Attention Alert, which detects impaired alertness over long driving times and at speeds of more than 40mph by analysing micro-movements at the steering wheel.
- Extended recognition and display of road signs on the digital cluster: stop signs, one-way signs, no overtaking signs, and end of overtaking signs, in addition to the usual speed-related signs.
- Night Vision system, which detects hazards such as pedestrians and animals in front of the vehicle at night or in reduced visibility. The range of the system ensures detection 200-metres beyond the range of the high beam, with a central infrared vision display in the digital instrument cluster located directly in the driver's field of vision.
- Blind-spot monitoring.
- High-definition parking assistance cameras.
- Automatic lowering of mirrors when engaging reverse.
- Matrix LED headlamps for maximum use of high beam power without dazzling preceding or approaching vehicles.
- Automatic high beam switching.
- Adjustable suspension with 3 driving modes (Normal, Sport and Comfort).
Other equipment also available to make using new PEUGEOT 508 even easier includes:
- Hands-free access.
- Loaded arm access with the motorised boot lid.
- Perimeter, volumetric, anti-theft alarm with deadlocks.
- Electric parking brake.
- Sunroof with a blind.
EMOTION On The Road: Driving pleasure
More than ever before, driving pleasure is in the DNA of the new PEUGEOT 508, with improved road holding, driving comfort, and nimble handling. As such, the 508 and 508 SW make the most of the dynamic qualities of the EMP2 platform.
- The platform contributes to a lower weight which benefits consumption, passive safety and performance.
- A reinforced body welding technique with the use of structural glue increases body rigidity and brings better durability.
- Suspension settings have been adapted to each engine to ensure the best level of vertical comfort and mitigate any road imperfections.
- The electric power steering system is calibrated to ensure a smooth/firm ratio for all driving situations and to provide outstanding handling.
- A kerb-to-kerb turning radius of 10.8 m.
For the PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED variants, PEUGEOT SPORT engineers have adapted the chassis with specific settings to achieve a very high level of comfort and handling:
- Variable damping optimised with three modes (Comfort/Hybrid/Sport).
- Lowered ride height, 24mm wider front and 12mm wider rear tracks.
- 380mm diameter front brake discs with fixed four-piston callipers.
- 20-inch diameter wheels with Michelin© Pilot Sport 4S tyres.
EMOTION On Board: Well-Being & Comfort
The new PEUGEOT 508 range offers a wide range of equipment designed to help drivers and passengers fully experience the joy of travel and mobility.
The front seats are particularly comfortable and have been awarded AGR (Campaign for Healthier Backs) certification by an independent German association of experts in ergonomics and back health. The label recognises both the ergonomics, level of spinal support and the range of adjustment available in the front seats.
The seats can also be equipped with electrical adjustment with two possible memory settings for the driver, as well as a pneumatic massage mode with eight different programs (including three new ones), and heating elements.
The seats have been designed to highlight the quality of the materials used, with two new upholsteries as standard for the ALLURE and GT trims, an artificial leather/textile for the former and an artificial leather/Alcantara® combination for the GT trim.
Two Nappa Leather upholsteries (Mistral or Red) are also available as an option, with a new embossed lion in the front headrests.
On the PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED variants, there is unique upholstery with the addition of a Kryptonite-coloured signature thread, which also highlights the dashboard, armrests and foam pads of the console.
Between the front seats, the centre console features a dedicated slot for wireless phone charging. The rest of the console is entirely devoted to storage and practicality with two large-diameter cup holders. Under the armrest, there is up to 6.4-litres of storage space.
The two-part (60/40 folding) rear bench seats in the new PEUGEOT 508s are fitted with a ski hatch as standard. In the 508 SW, there are two controls for easily folding the two seat sections. This system is accessible from the boot.
The volume of the luggage compartment is:
- For Fastback variants, from 487 to 1,537-litres with the rear seats folded.
- For the SW, from 530 to 1,780-litres with the rear seats folded
For everyday practicality, the boot area is equipped with a 12V socket, two LED lights, an elasticated net for storage and bag hooks.
The boot lid is motorised for easy access when the driver’s hands are full. It opens automatically by:
- Sweeping a foot under the bumper.
- Pressing the button on the remote control key.
- Pressing the external control of the tailgate.
- Operating a push button on the dashboard.
Inside the new 508, the blue LED ambient lighting on the front door panels and centre console provides soft light and contributes to the sophisticated atmosphere inside the car.
Climate control contributes to the thermal comfort of the occupants, and to ensure a healthy interior atmosphere, the 508 is equipped with the AQS (Air Quality System), which constantly monitors the quality of the air entering the passenger compartment and can automatically activate air recycling.
Developed in partnership with audio specialist FOCAL®, the Premium Hi-Fi system in the new PEUGEOT 508 is the result of several years of collaboration. It includes 10 speakers with exclusive patented technologies:
- 4 TNF aluminium inverted dome tweeters.
- 4 woofers/mediums with Polyglass membrane and TMD (Tuned Mass Damper) suspension of 165mm.
- 1 Polyglass centre channel.
- 1 Power Flower™ subwoofer.
They are connected to a 12-way 690W amplifier.
PEUGEOT and FOCAL® teams worked together to design the tailor-made locations of each speaker to offer all passengers total immersion. On board, the sound stage is stable and precise, the voices are clear and detailed, and the bass is deep and powerful. The all-new Front-Optimised listening mode offers front-seat passengers a sensational experience.
EXCELLENCE & Efficiency: The Engines
Two front-wheel drive plug-in hybrid powertrains are available:
- New PLUG-IN HYBRID 180 e-EAT8: Front-wheel drive featuring a combination of a 150hp PureTech engine (110kW) and an 81kW electric motor coupled with the 8-speed e-EAT8 automatic gearbox.
- PLUG-IN HYBRID 225 e-EAT8: 2-wheel drive featuring a combination of a 180hp (132kW) PureTech engine and an 81kW electric motor coupled with the 8-speed e-EAT8 automatic gearbox.
An all-wheel-drive plug-in hybrid powertrain is available on the 508 PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED versions:
- PLUG-IN HYBRID4 360 e-EAT8: Four-wheel drive technology. At the front, a combination of a 200hp (147kW) PureTech engine and an 81kW electric motor coupled with the 8-speed e-EAT8 automatic gearbox, and at the rear, an 83kW electric motor and an energy management developed from the PEUGEOT 9X8 race car.
The Lithium-ion battery of the 180, 225 and 360 PLUG-IN HYBRIDs have a capacity of 12.4kWh and an output of 102kW. Two types of onboard chargers are available: a 3.7kW single-phase charger as standard and, as an option, a 7.4kW single-phase charger (standard on PEUGEOT SPORT ENGINEERED).
The estimated charging times are as follows:
- From a 7.4kW Wall Box (32A) and with the 7.4kW single-phase on-board charger, full charging can be completed in 1h40.
- From a 7.4kW Wall Box (32A) and with the 3.7kW single-phase onboard charger, full charging can be completed in 3h25.
Two internal combustion engines are also available:
- PureTech 130 EAT8: the 3-cylinder petrol engine with a capacity of 1.2-litres and 130hp is combined with the EAT8 8-speed automatic gearbox and a Stop & Start system.
- BlueHDi 130 EAT8: the 4-cylinder diesel engine with 1.5-litre capacity and 130hp is combined with the EAT8 8-speed automatic gearbox and a Stop & Start system.
EXCELLENCE & Everyday Pleasure: Services
The new PEUGEOT 508 range can be purchased entirely online via the PEUGEOT Buy Onlineplatform. A selection of finance products are available to choose meaning you can configure your brand new PEUGEOT, input any part exchange details, personalise your chosen finance option and apply online before placing your order for either Home Delivery or Click & Collect.
The MPeugeot® smartphone application enables drivers to:
- Launch or schedule a cabin pre-conditioning on Plug-in Hybrid versions. This feature not only provides more comfort but when the vehicle is plugged in, it allows drivers to optimise the range by optimally anticipating the temperature setting of the battery operation.
- Check, schedule, launch or defer the battery charge remotely.
- View a virtual maintenance booklet that makes it possible to keep all the invoices and memorise the list of services carried out on the vehicle within the networks, in an electronic file. In addition to being environmentally friendly, this is very useful when drivers want to sell their vehicles. It provides reassurance to any future buyer.
- Remote sending of a destination to the onboard navigation system from a smartphone, saving time when starting the vehicle.
All PLUG-IN HYBRID versions come with an 8-year, 100,000 mile battery and drive train warranty.
The new PEUGEOT 508 will go on sale at Toomey Basildon and Southend in June 2023. It will be produced in France, at the Mulhouse plant.